Rabbits/rabbits urinating

Hi there. I dont know if this is your knowledge but every now and then my rabbit throws and arches his bum up in the air to pee. Is this normal or could something be wrong. He is still eating and drinking fine. Hes never been the cleanest of rabbits so every now and then he gets a clean round his bum but theres nothing smelly like there was before when he had an infection and he didnt eat or drink much then. If you could get back to please.

Hi Lyndsey
Is this an unneutered buck by any chance? Bunnies, especially unneutered ones, will use pee to scent mark.

If you're suspicious he's doing this because he's uncomfortable, get your vet to check for bladder stones which can develop. He shouldn't be too messy around his bum either - that could be due to things like incontinence or bladder infections. If he seems to not be able to control his pee and is "leaking" that definitely needs a vet check.

Hope I've helped!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.