Rabbits/Chronic use of cisispride

Question
I have two elderly, bonded rabbits who both had to have their incisors removed due to malocclusion. I don't know whether this has increased their propensity for stasis but in the last few years, both of them have regular bouts of stasis. It's odd because their molars are pretty good because they are excellent hay eaters. Because they are elderly (both probably at least 10 years), as soon as there are sypmtoms, I hit them hard and fast with cisipride, ovol, metacam, and sometimes sub q fluids as well as a vet visit if it isn't Sunday night on a long weekend. :)
Both of them were having a slowdown at the same time, so I have been giving them cisipride once a day for about 2 weeks now. Do you know what the implications are for keeping them on cisipride daily? One of them also gets Metacam once a day for severe spinal arthritis  as well.
Thank you for your help. Wish I could have gone to St. Louis and met you!

Answer
Hi, Mary!

Yes, it's a shame you couldn't make it to St. Louis.  It was a fantastic conference, and the St. Louis people are incredible.  Their shelter made me want to curl up into a little fetal ball and rock back and forth with the knowledge that I'll never be able to do anything like that!  :(

As far as your bunnies and the cisapride are concerned...there are apparently no long-term health problems associated with it, especially if it's just on again, off again.  I know of a Rhesus monkey who was on it every day for his entire life, just to keep him alive.  He suffered no ill effects from the drug, and in fact had a tragic end--he was euthanized when cisapride was briefly taken off the market because he could not survive without the drug.  SO SAD.

If you're worried, why not try the Enema Solution?  Christie Taylor, Brent Dressler and I made an instructional video you can watch, and then perhaps get some coaching from your vet before you try it:

http://houserabbitga.com/bunny-enema-instructions/

The article has a link to the video at the bottom.

Hope it will help!

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.