Rabbits/Rabbit water bottles

QUESTION: I use glass water bottles that have metal double-ball spouts for my house bunnies.  The bottles and spouts are rinsed and refilled daily.  Is it okay to wash them with dish soap (and rinsed well), and how often should they be washed?

Sorry for the lack of response. I didn't realize there was a question waiting for me. Yes, these water bottles are okay. They should be rinsed and refilled daily. Personally, I use bowls that attach to the side of the cage, but that's all your bunny's preference.

QUESTION: I think you missed part of the question -- is it ok to wash them with dish soap and how often should they be washed?  What about gravity water feeders -- how often should they be washed?

They should be rinsed and refilled daily - and that should include a thorough washing. Dish soap is fine, just rinse well. You don't want any pesky bacteria hanging out in corners or crevices.

I wash everything daily, but that's just me. I wouldn't go for more than a week without this type of cleaning though.

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.