Rabbits/bunny legs

I have a 13 year old Californian. She has been having some trouble with her back legs. Splayed when she lays, she hopped out of her litter box today and fell over. I don't want her to suffer if she is in pain. I had her on a homeopathic fish oil from the vet last year, but didn't think it really did much. Do you think I should get more or is there something else that could help if she is in pain? She eats fine, hops around still out of the crate. She has a very comfy crate, big with blankets etc. I just want to know if it's worth a trip to the vet. I know she is old and don't want a lot of tests etc done on her.

I would go, but only to rule out anything serious that could lead to an untimely demise. She is quite the elderly bun, so I would ask the vet if there are any types of joint supplements you could add to her diet - either in her water supply or as an addition to her food (sort of like how glucosamine condroitin works for humans). I don't think fish oil is going to do much for her joints, so you're not off in thinking it may not have done much.

If it's just her age, then I'd recommend getting a set up for her that doesn't include a lot of hopping or stress to her back legs - perhaps a cage on the floor with a walk in entrance rather than hopping over something, and making sure her hay supply is within reach without stretching. Definitely keep the blankets as part of her setup, and I'd make sure her area is nice and warm - that always helps with any joint discomfort.  

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.