Rabbits/Diamaond has a lump

Diamond has seen a vet for four weeks now he has stayed with me being force fed I took him to a vet that says he has a lump at the base of his stomach this is the second time this year he has stopped eating and drinking, I have tried everything I know to keep him with me but the vet gave him a antib. and says if the knot does not subside that he could do go in to see if it can be removed I don't have the money for this surgery I am sacred for him he is a sweet soul who still wants to live how can I help him.

Dear Natalie,

I can't know for sure from your description, but I don't think your vet sounds as if he is a rabbit expert.  I would strongly recommend that you use the list here:

to find a rabbit-savvy vet for a second opinion.

What he means by a "lump at the base of the stomach" could be anything, and this is not really much of a diagnosis.  What lump?  Does the vet suspect a tumor?  Abscess?  Bolus of food/hair in the stomach that isn't passing?

The "knot" may not even be a pathology, but the vet is picking this because he is not experienced enough with rabbits to know to look for more likely causes of inappetence and intermittent ileus.  Please read these important articles:

Dental problems are probably the #1 cause of mysterious cases of inappetence like this, but there are many other possibilities.  A good rabbit vet can help you track them down and start appropriate treatment.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology