Rabbits/Rabbit not pooping after abscess surgery

Question
My 3 yo rabbit underwent removal of an abscess around its jaw on Tuesday 12/23. Since he got home it's been very difficult to feed him but we managed to get him to eat a bit (and force fed him some Critical Care mix). What is worrisome is he is almost not pooping.
We took him to the vet yesterday and they gave him subcutaneous fluids and an injectable form of cisapride to get his GI going.
Back home he's been eating better but still no poop. This morning as we saw no poop we decided to check his butt and indeed there was a clog. With warm water we removed the clog and we can visually "see" that there is more waiting to come out from the pipeline (whatever he's been eating is probably waiting for the exit right there). As we put him down after the cleanup procedure, he went straight to his litter box and we thought he'd be rewarding us with a good poop cluster, but unfortunately after 10 minutes in there he got out and there was nothing.
Is there a way to stimulate his poop or help loosen the poop near the anus? (warm bath? massages? medicine? enema?)
He is currently on Baytrin, Metacam and, since yesterday, Cisapride.
Thank you in advance.
Greg

Answer
Dear Greg,

A bunny suffering pain (and it will be pretty severe after a jaw abscess surgery) will often respond by shutting down the GI tract.  It's important to keep bun well hydrated with oral liquids, as rabbits tend to pull fluid from the GI tract to hydrate other tissues, at the obvious expense of the contents of the GI tract.

Ileus (cessation of normal peristalsis) compounds this problem, and I would not be surprised if your bunny is suffering from GI slowdown or even bouts of full-on ileus.  This will make him inappetent and miserable, and the only way to make him feel better is to get that gut moving again.

Here are some tips and tricks:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

But I've found that the most effective method is a good, old-fashioned enema, as you mention above.  We recently made an instructional video that you can find here (featuring my hands and tie dye t-shirt; video link is at the bottom of the page).  

http://houserabbitga.com/bunny-enema-instructions/

I hope it will help you get your little guy feeling better and on the road to recovery.

Have a happy, healthy new year!

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.