Rabbits/My mini Rex male rabbit

Hello there. I have this purebred mini Rex rabbit who will almost be one. His name is Amaliki. I bred him and had him since he was a baby. He isn't neutered and I've bred him with some of my other does at times. I own both his mother and father. I noticed that Amaliki has been unsteady on his feet. I had rabbits for eight years, and never experienced this. He doesn't seem to be eating his pellets or drinking his water. However, he does eat his hay and an apple and organic lettuce treats, but he also seems frantic like he's starving. His mother does it too when I give her treats. Amaliki looks up a lot, or holds his head high, I noticed. I know about Vestibular Disease, but I'm not to keen that he has that. He doesn't seem to tilt his head.

Just today, he was sitting on a box, trying to clean his back feet, and once he did, he completely fell backwards. This happens when he's on the ground. Also, when he hops he kinda stumbles to the side unsteadily. I'm really worried about him. Is there something I missed? I also noticed that my doe is also a little unsteady.. I never bred Amaleki and that doe together, due that they have mother. Their mother had many kits before and never encountered this. Same with the father's children. Please get back to me asap; thank you!!!

Hi Emily
Sorry to hear about your bunnies.

I really recommend you get to a vet ASAP, my two concerns are heart problems or the parasite EC which is contagious and causes neurological problems. A vet needs to listen to his heart and test for the parasite.

You do need to get him to a vet ASAP!

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.