Rabbits/sore hocks

Hello.  My 11 year old house bunny (rescue) has developed sore hocks and I have talked with her vet this morning (50 miles away in Williamsburg, VA and we're trying to avoid the stress of a trip for her) and she mentioned some type of 'bunny shoes' that she heard about at a conference in Orlando, FL not too long ago.  I've searched all over the internet trying to locate them, but have had no luck.  Just so you know we've placed rubber mats on all of her carpet this morning and we use yesterdays news as litter. My husband and I adore our sweet Binkster.. any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated.  She has become more fragile due to her age, but she still seems to be very happy (and still lives up to her name with binkies) and has a very good quality of life.  Thanks again, Robin

Hi Robin,

I have never heard of bunny shoes but I can tell you of a cream that is being recommended by many exotic vets.  It is called Heal X Soother Plus.  You can find the web-site here with order information:

We have used this on everything from abscesses, ringworm and sore hocks and have found that it is absolutely amazing.  I suggest you check out the case studies also.  I didn't believe they were true until we witnessed it ourselves.

The other thing I suggest is a product called CirQlate.  It is made by the OxyGen company.  Many of their products are geared towards breeders but we have been using the CirQlate on animals that have injuries or after spay/neuter surgery.  I was not able to find any case studies but it did save a leg of one of our bunnies that was rescued after it was attacked by rats.  The bunny recovered fully within 28 days which made me believe that it really is a great product.  If you call the number on the site they will tell you how to order.  

I hope your bunny is feeling better soon.  

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.