Rabbits/tiny bump on zoe's ear and thick brown pee

the bumps
the bumps  

pee in this morning
pee in this morning  
Dear lisa,
Hai lisa.. i found a tiny bump on my bunny's ear.. it is hard.. whenever i touch it and press it my bunny will react kind of pain.. i don't have idea what is it..yesterday the bump wasn't there..if I hold it, the bumps is round n as big as green bean..and I wonder why his pee is so unusual since 1 week ago.. His ppee color is dark orange and dark brown.. he is 4months old..not yet being spayed and he is male.. he is a loop dwarf.. and i put him in a cage when ever i go out... and he is the only rabbit that i have..."

Hi Again:

Thank you for providing pictures - It makes a world of difference.  

The bump appears to be the beginning of a Fibroma.  A fibroma is very similar to a wart in appearance, but the underlying cause is different.

Up until 1930 it was thought that Fibromas were limited to wild rabbits.  
1931 was the first year a fibroma was found in a domestic rabbit.  The reason they are most common in wild rabbits is because wild rabbits are always exposed to the cause of a Fibroma - a biting insect.  It can be a housefly, horsefly, mosquito, chigger, or any other biting insect.  It can take weeks to months for the Fibroma to begin to grow after the insect bite, so it's likely your buck was bitten before you got him.

The cure ranges from do nothing.... to surgery.  Some fibromas stay very small and don't bother the rabbit at all - they are painless.  Yes - if you press on it that will cause discomfort because you are pressing a hard nodule into nerves.  However, in its normal state, the fibroma is painless.  If it stays small, you don't need to do a thing.  Don't put anything on it or attempt to treat it.  There is no treatment other than surgical removal and that is necessary only if it gets very big.  On that note - Fibromas can get quite large.  It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.  Perhaps you've heard the myth about the 'horned rabbit'.  Well.... its not a myth, but its not a horn - its a fibroma and in rare cases, they can be bigger than the rabbit itself!  If your bucks fibroma gets bigger than a dime or gets heavy enough to cause his ear to be pulled down by the weight - then he will need to be seen by an exotic animal vet and the fibroma will need to be surgically removed.  

Please dont take your rabbit to a regular vet, for anything.  Rabbits are increasing in popularity, but for medical purposes, they are still classified as 'exotic animals' and therefore, veterinarians going to school for general studies get very little education about rabbits.  It takes 9 years of college-level schooling to become an entry-level vet and in those 9 years, a total of 2 WEEKS is spent on rabbit health.  Most vets will agree to treat a rabbit; because they don't want to turn away money - but it often goes very wrong.  I've been raising, breeding and treating rabbits for 39 years and over the years I've heard story after story of how a simple procedure ended in the death of a rabbit because a regular vet attempted to treat something outside of that vet's expertise.

If you don't already have an exotic animal vet picked out, this is the suggested process: (this assumes you live in the United States - your post did not specify your location)

First - start by clicking the link below; - it lists exotic animal vets with a good reputation for treating rabbits.  Find your state and look for any within a reasonable driving distance.  Link:

If you dont find any there, the next step would be to do a Google search for veterinarians in your area who do <b>NOT </b> advertise as exotic. -at this point you are looking for a regular vet, not an exotic animal vet.

•Pick 5 or so of those regular vets and call each of them.  Tell them that you are a rabbit owner and you are looking to find an exotic animal vet you could use in the event that your rabbit ever has a severe or complicated health issue; ask for the name of the vet they refer clients with very sick rabbits to.

If all 5 or so give you the name of the same veterinarian, You got it! If not, then randomly select another 5 veterinarians and continue the process until you have a clear “winner.” If you get 3 or more vets giving you the same name, you're good.

Once you've gotten it narrowed down, call the office of the recommended vet and ask how many rabbits are seen at the clinic each week or month and how many rabbits are spayed or neutered each week or month.

Note:  Do not make your choice based on how close the veterinarian is to your home.  Most rabbits see a vet no more than twice in their life.  You wont be going often, so distance should not be the deciding factor.  Choosing the closest vet vs. the best (farther) vet could be a life and death difference to your rabbit.  Paying money to a nearby veterinarian who knows little or nothing about rabbits and has little to no experience with rabbits is throwing your money away and can cost the life of your companion.

Don’t assume that just because a veterinarian works with breeders or local 4-H clubs, that they are experienced with house rabbits

Note: one big risk of taking a rabbit to a non-rabbit vet is the risk of the wrong antibiotic being prescribed for oral use - if an antibiotic is ever needed.  Several 'common' antibiotics are toxic to rabbits if given orally - they must be injected or the rabbit will die.
Typically, those ending in 'cillin' or 'mycin' are toxic if given orally.
One dose of the following, given orally, will be deadly: amoxicillin, ampicillin, clyndamycin,lyncomycin. For a complete list of safe and toxic antibiotics for rabbits, follow this link:

Ok, back to the fibroma:

As I've already said - it might stay small. It's possible it will never grow bigger and it's also possible that it will dry up and fall off; that happens occasionally.  If it is going to fall off, it will happen within a few days.  It might get a 'bit' bigger as already described, and it can potentially become HUGE.  Here are links to photos of extreme Fibromas:
They aren't limited to ears:

As earlier mentioned - if it grows big or grows fast, it will need to be surgically removed and I've given you advice on how to find the best vet.

Regarding the brown pee:  
Did you change ANYTHING in your bunnies diet around the time this began?  Such as introducing a new veggie, fruit or other treat.  Perhaps you changed feed brands?  perhaps he's stealing a 'snack' from somewhere when he's free roaming?

Rabbit urine can be a variety of colors.  From pale yellow, to bright yellow to thick chalky yellow that when dried looks like white chalkboard chalk.  It can look bright red IDENTICAL to blood.  I get a good amount of panic messages from owners who are certain their bunny is peeing out blood, but it's just red urine, caused by a diet change.  And it can be various shades of brown.  Anything from light tan and thin, to dark brown with sediment (as you are seeing) and it's often described as 'mud'.  The good news is that any and all of these colors and textures is NORMAL and harmless.  The coloring comes from diet and the urine color can change from morning to night, depending on what they eat. If you have a good enough memory, chances are  you will remember making some sort of dietary addition, deletion or modification around the time this began.
A change in color can occur even if you did not intentionally change or add anything new, simply because the hay used to make the pellets was from a different lot or different greens were added to the pellets during processing.
As long as his fecal waste is normal, the pee color means nothing.

I hope I have answered your questions.  If you need any further help, please contact me.

Lisa L.

I was introduced to meat rabbits at the age of 3. Began working with them on my own at the age of 8 and started my own large commercial rabbitry at the age of 20. I'm 46 now and for the past 26 years I have owned a large herd of meat rabbits and have become well known as the turn-to person whenever a problem arrises.

Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Member of the Rabbit Industry Council. Member of the Yahoo - Meat Rabbits Group. Member of the American Council of Animal Naturopathy. Administrators of the FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

Yahoo Meat Rabbits Group. American Council of Animal Naturopathy FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

There is no formal training for raising rabbits; its all hands on. I have had a steady rabbit breeding operation for 24 years and have read every book there is on raising rabbits for meat. Additionally, I am a member of several rabbit groups and associations as listed below.

None - there are none in this field.

I have helped countless people over the past several decades. These have been people I knew personally or those referred to me by one of the many rabbit organizations I belong to.