Rabbits/Weird Behaviour

Dear Cat,
I have a standard lop named Holly. Holly is 8 months old and is a very spunky and friendly but she is a horrible chewer. She chews and eats everything that she can fit in her mouth. Such as: carpets, shoes, furniture, metal, plants, cloths, bar on gates (plastic and metal), and anything else she can fit in there. Me and my family have had over 6 male Holland lops before but they never chewed and ate everything in site like Holly does. Many of these things are not good for her that I know but she has eaten them anyway the minute I am not looking. She however has never gotten sick the worst is she has had really bad diarrhea. We have put her in a bigger room (my brothers old bedroom) thinking that she was trying to tell us her pen was to small. But she continues this behavior even in her new MUCH bigger room. What is wrong with her!? Do you have any ideas or suggestions on what to do. I don't want her to hurt herself or worse eat something that kills her. What should I do???

Hi Erin
Sorry to hear of your chewed up home woes!

Every bun is different and some are little destructo monsters. The first step I would recommend is spaying if she's not already, while this won't stop it, it may go some way to relive any tension she's feeling or an urge to nest.

I would recommend making sure she has plenty of toys and digging boxes, litter trays full of hay. Mine LOVE chew mats too, think I've got three of those on the go at the moment.

I would also recommend considering bonding her with a neutered husbun. In theory this will give her something else to snuggle with, to groom, and, hopefully, he won't be a destructo monster and will calm her down. Doesn't always work though!!!

Sometimes some rabbits are just extremely destructive. Make sure she has a large area that is bunny proofed to stop boredom. Something like this:

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.