Rabbits/Skin Injury

One of my rabbits tore some of her skin. The wound is about as round as a golf ball and still has a flap of fur hanging over it. There is a little red gash in the center of the wound. THe tear isn't bleeding or anything, and my rabbit doesn't seem to be in any pain, but i am very worried about the flap of fur getting caught on something and tearing and the wound getting infected.

I want to take her to the vet and get it checked out, but my dad is unwilling to do that,So i don't really know what to do except to put some antibacterial cream on it.

What do you think i should do?

Hi Madeleine

Sorry to hear about your bunny. He really does need to see a vet.

I'm going with your dad being unwilling due to either cost or that it's "just a rabbit", but your bun WILL be in pain, they just hide it as they are prey animals. The risk of further tearing is high as well as further infection. They do have very fragile skin and can suffer skin infections which can spread to elsewhere and cause further damage.

This isn't something that's going to get better on its own. Your bun needs prescribed bunny-safe antibiotics.

Hope you can convince your dad!!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.