Rabbits/Urgent question about ill rabbit

Question
My rabbit is 5 years old and recently become withdrawn and lost weight. The back lags seem semi paralysed with urine stains. She has diagnosed with ecuniculi and renal failure. Our vet has prescribed panacur which she has been on for a few days. We were wondering whether metacam would be a possibility here? From reading the threads on various sites it does seem to work so we tried a small drop and within an hour she seemed to perk up and wax brighter. Interestingly enough, she is eating as she always has done. My question on metacam was provoked due to its suitability in the face of the kidney situation.

Can you please let me know your thoughts as the metacam did seem miraculous!

Thanks,

Tom

Answer
Dear Tom,

Anything that reduces her pain is going to make her perk up.  But I think using metacam for a bunny in renal failure is likely to speed her decline, since this class of drugs reduces blood flow to the kidneys and hence reduces the already-compromised organs' ability to filter toxins from the body.

I would ask the vet about trying Tramadol, a synthetic opioid that will not affect her kidneys adversely.  It might give her good pain management and not harm her.

I hope this helps.

Dana  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.