Rabbits/head injury

last sunday my bunny got excited and ran into her hutch beam and knocked herself out since then when she gets around she flops over and cant get back up this was 5 days ago she is doing some better she got of the tote by herself today my dilema is i cant afford to go to the doctor myself much less take her to the vet is there anything i can do for her? just wait and see?i hate to have to put her down ive had Daphne for almost 3 years

Hi Carol

Sorry to hear about your bun. Sadly there's not much you can do without knowing what the damage is. The only way to find that out would be an x-Ray. I'm hoping it's concussion and no long term damage is done, but they have such fragile bones it could just as easily be a fracture somewhere along the spine or skull. There's no way to know without an x-Ray if there's swelling on the brain.

If you can't afford a vet, there's really nothing much you can do at home sadly. They do hide pain, but if she stops eating that means she's in a LOT of pain and needs prescribed pain medication.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.