Rabbits/Can a Rabbit ingest.....

Question
Can a rabbit ingest without harm a small amount of any of the following items: Olive Oil, Bees Wax, Honey, Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly Extract and/or Bee Propolis.

Also can rabbits eat leaves from a Acacia Salicina (type of Willow)?

Thanks
Pamela

Answer
Dear Pamela,

None of the oil or bee products you mention are overtly toxic (though bee pollen always has the potential to contain species of pollen with some toxicity, the quantity is so small as to probably be negligible), so tiny amounts should not be harmful.  But none of these is a normal item in the rabbit diet.

Acacia salicina is actually a type of legume, not a willow.  Its species name (salicina) and one of its common names ("Willow Acacia") come from its graceful, weeping growth pattern, reminiscent of a weeping willow.  Its leaves are not toxic, and are actually used to feed livestock in dry season in areas where the tree (native to Australia, but planted pretty widely in the southwestern U.S. in arid regions) can grow.

Hope that helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.