Rabbits/5 week Californian

5 week old Californian, female. She has suffered from 'poopie butt' since she has gotten her fur. We have tried trimming the hair away from her, did not work. We have giving her 'baths' twice daily. The smell is horrid. She shares a cage with her mom and siblings (8 bunnies), none of the others have had this issue. She is the only bunny that when picked up excretes a 'milky' discharge from her vaginal area (a quite a bit of it) . Her fur is becoming discolored. We took all rabbits in the cage off of pellets and fed them all dry oatmeal and gave them wheat straw to aid in drying her up. That has not worked, we are on day 8 and still 'poopie' butt. Please help!

First things first, if you're able to, I'd separate her to be able to observe her better. She might not be eating enough if she's with a group of 8.
I'd also switch from wheat straw to a timothy hay or orchard grass. Are you feeding her any greens? You might also try that to get up her nutrient levels.
Last, but certainly not least, this sounds like a serious concern. Medical attention might need to be the next step as something like soft poo's can be a symptom of more serious issues.

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.