Rabbits/my merlin

hi there im so very upset, its the not knowing ! this afternoon I put my rabbit merlin of 5yrs old in run,i then get my lop eared rabbit out of hutch & popin the other side of run so there separated by iron mesh , as there 2 boys ive always done it this way incase they fight as merlin used to being on his own! I come back from a trip out with children to see merlins leg poking out of his hutch as I always put hutches in run just incase of rain they av shelter , I ten see that the other rabbit is in merlins side of the run hoping around I just shout & panic,knowing that somethings wrong with merlin I grab the hutch pou to find merlin on his side dead im now in such shock & upset crying...... theres no sign of fur on grass or no blood on merlin so to me no sign of fighting /?/ I am however thinking the lop being only a yr is very active would he of frightened merlin into shock, im struggling here as I love my animals as most I loved merlin as he was more like a little dog,the only way I can see the rabbit getting over was to jump through top mesh but I just cant get my head around it :( feeling sad & in need of answers to try to explain a happy full of life merlin to 1 that's now wrapped in a blanket :( jo x

I'm sorry for your loss. Since there's no blood or signs of a fight, the choices are limited on why Merlin passed, especially since you didn't mention any changes in his behavior or appetite. Cancer is a possibility, so is shock. Without an autopsy it's hard to really tell.

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.