Rabbits/rabbit on a plane

Question
hello cat, i am wondering how it would be to take my mini Rex rabbit over to the UK ? as in how it would be for her . like what is the % that she will make it and still be my loveable friend?? i love her a lot but would it be better for me to find her a good home here ( that would brake my heart and hers ) and like what shoots and stuff like that dose she need?? she has not been to the vet a lot so she has no shoots. can she be put to sleep?? what would be better for her??? i will take her at my feet.

waiting for your answer!
con

Answer
Hi Con

While it can be done, I know a pair that went with their owner from the UK to Thailand, unfortunately she didn't have the right entry paperwork for them and they were flown straight back again and came to live at the rescue I volunteer at. It takes a lot of money, a lot of paperwork and the bun may well be highly stressed by it. Some airlines may not accept a bun traveller, especially not in the cabin, and the hold would be fatal.

In the UK we have VHD and myxomatosis, you don't have that in Canada and the vaccinations won't exist over there. You would need to contact DEFRA to find out what paperwork you need to avoid a 6 month quarantine (which will not cater for rabbit needs) http://www.defra.gov.uk. You would also need to have long talks with the airline to see whether they would even consider a bun in the cabin, and it's a long flight so you would have to cater for her food and water and toilet habits while she's there as she would not be able to be taken out.

It may be kinder to find her a new home with friends or family in Canada, as heart breaking as it is. There are tens of thousands of rabbits over in the UK in rescues needing homes too.

You can consider it, but I personally wouldn't do it.

Hope I helped!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat