Rabbits/E.C. cleaning

My oldest rabbit was diagnosed with e. cuniculi and was put to sleep due to paralysis. He lived in a Leith Petwerks triple level condo ( http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpage.cfm?prod_code=BA300 ) which as you can see is made of mostly wood.

I have another rabbit who while shows no symptoms and has not had contact with my other rabbit that is being treated with Panacur.

My question is would it be possible to sanitize this cage for my other rabbit to live in or should I just toss it?

My vet suggested a bleach/water solution but I am not sure that would be safe on wood.

Dear Robbie,

I am sorry about the loss of your bunny.

A 10% bleach solution might do the trick, and should not hurt the wood.  Just let it soak for 10 minutes, then hose the heck out of it outside, and let it dry in the sun.

That said, there is no guarantee that your other bunny is free of E. cuniculi.  Many rabbits harbor this opportunistic pathogen, and they never get sick.  Others--usually older or immunocompromised--develop head tilt, renal problems, or central nervous system problems.  But it's very difficult to predict which bunnies will get sick, even if they harbor the parasite.

At the first sign of E. cuniculi-like signs, a rabbit can be started on ponazuril and/or fenbendazole, and we have seen very good recovery if the problem is caught early.

Hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology