Rabbits/eye infection

Is it safe to erythromycin eye ointment for rabbit eye infections?

If not, what is safe to use for eye infections or for irritation?

Thank you.

I wouldn't recommend a human medication for a bun unless specifically prescribed by your vet, especially since you don't know what you're dealing with. First thing I'd look to find out is if it's an irritation or an infection - they are treated differently. It might also be a dental issue, so I'd caution you to do more medical digging before you begin any kind of treatment. If you're looking for something to soothe your bun's irritated, watery eyes until you can find this out, chamomile tea (brewed and cooled to room temp, of course) is something I would recommend.

Best of luck to you Lori!

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.