Rabbits/incisor grows improper

Question
another teeth
another teeth  
zoe\'s teeth
zoe's teeth  
QUESTION: Dear Dana,
I have a bunny which is 9months old.. His name is zoe pandora.. 2 weeks ago while I was playing with him, I accidentally found out his teeth looked strange.. He still eats well, want to play.. He eats vegetables, pellets and carrots , hay too.. But I'm too afraid it will occure new problem in the future.. I'm feel trauma since my last rabbit had suffered with dental problem and caused death.. I had brought him to vet.. But my vet is limited experience with rabbit teeth.. Should zoe have a trimmed teeth? What should I do? He sometimes sneeze and wet on his nose...  ‎​‎​-̶̶•-̶̶•̸Ϟ•̸Thank You•̸Ϟ•̸-̶̶•-̶ Dana

ANSWER: Dear Sanny,

Your rabbit has a congenital malocclusion, a misalignment of the teeth.  Yes, this must be treated, or the bunny will soon be unable to eat.  The teeth should be cut with a Dremel or other tool, NOT clipped, as clipping can fracture the teeth and allow bacteria below the gumline into the base of the teeth (they do not have true "roots"), causing potentially fatal complications.

You can find more information about rabbit malocclusion and treatment here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

If this develops into an infection, this one might also be useful:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html

I think you may need to check the international veterinary listings here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vet

to find a vet who is more experienced with rabbit dental problems.  They are very common, but you need a vet who knows what to do to properly control the problem, even if it means complete extraction of the incisors.  This, too, is explained in the article above.

I hope this helps.

Dana

mucus
mucus  
QUESTION: Dear Dana,
I'm glad u replied my mail.. Just 2hrs ago my rabbit just sneezed and he sneezed out mucus.. I'm not sure where its came from.. Either mouth or nose.. :( Is it related to the teeth? Is he got infected or something? How could I cure it? So do u think it should be trimmed or pull out the teeth is the best way? (⌒˛⌒) ‎​​†hªπk§ ♈ºµ Dana..

Answer
Dear Sanny,

The bunny sneezed up mucus that contains pus:  dead white blood cells.  This is an indication that the bunny has an infection, and it might be related to the teeth.

Please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/culture.html

And be SURE to read the previous two articles I sent.  They will help you with this.

But if the bacterial identification is not something you can afford, then ask the vet about starting the bunny on something safe and broad-spectrum, such as Baytril (enrofloxacin) or ciprofloxacin.

Did you get this bunny from the same source as the first bunny you lost to dental disease?  If so, I think this person is breeding in cruel ways, and not caring about inbreeding, which can increase the risk of birth defects like this.  Poor bunny.

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.