Rabbits/Strange "bubbles" on inside of doe

Question
Rabbit
Rabbit  

Close up
Close up  
I had just bought a rex doe from a breeder and when we got her home she started sneezing. We quarantined her from the others and long story short she ended up very sick with white, snotty nose. We ended up having to put her down. We raise meat/fur rabbits so we started butchering her and checking her organs. She looked completely healthy inside other than these bubbles that were attached by silver skin to her stomach. Do you have any idea what they are? No one around here has ever seen anything like it. They were about the size of a pea and kind of felt like fish eggs. We didn't cut them open (regrettably) but they seemed to have a fluid in them.  Do you have any idea what they are?

Answer
Dear Lora,

The appearance of the lesions is consistent with cysticercosis, infestation of larval tapeworms.    These are contracted when an herbivore ingests eggs left in feces by infected carnivores such as dogs, foxes, etc.  Rabbits can serve as intermediate hosts for the larvae without major disruption of their overall health, and the parasites are transmitted to the definitive host (predator) when the cysticercus larvae are ingested by the predator along with its prey.

This means that you could contract tapeworms from eating infected rabbit flesh, as these tapeworm larvae can encyst not only in the abdominal cavity, but also in the connective tissue, depending on the species of tapeworm.  Taenia septentrionalis encyst in the abdominal cavity, as seen in your poor rabbit, but other species (e.g., Taenia solium, the pork tapeworm) will encyst in muscle and connective tissue.

You could consider it Revenge of the Rabbit.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.