Rabbits/Suggestions of immobilizing rabbits femur

Question
My rabbit jumped out my daughters arms. The vet stated his femur is broken. I am financially unable to pay for surgery or amputation. She did explain we could try to see how it heals itself and immobilization is possible solution for healing because she did feel what she believes to be the bone already trying to mend itself. Please inform me of any suggestions to immobilize his femur. He fell Tuesday and I just left the vet. Thanks for your time and help.

Answer
Dear Kila,

It is very, very difficult to stabilize a femur.  As you already have seen, the thigh is appressed to the abdomen and there is really not a good, loose area where one could tie a splint.

I know of vets who have stabilized the leg by actually using VetWrap to gently fix the thigh against the abdomen--but results are iffy.  If you stabilize it in the wrong position, then you could make things worse.

In a situation like this, cage rest is probably your best option, limiting movement as much as possible so the bone doesn't have a chance to move around.

Rabbits *can* heal breaks like this, as long as the bones are not shattered.  There is a risk of infection in some cases, so ask the vet about putting the bunny on rabbit-safe antibiotics is a good idea in this case.

I hope the bunny will heal on her own, and quickly.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.