Rabbits/Bunny with broken leg - follow up

Day 7
Day 7  
Hi Dana
Thanks for answering my previous question. I took my bunny to the vet again today. The vet took another x-ray and adjusted the splint. I'd like to share a couple of xrays with you- one taken last week on the day of the accident and the other taken today. They have been taken from different angles but the bones seem to be better aligned now. The vet mentioned that the swelling has reduced and suggested that we wait a few more weeks before deciding whether to amputate the leg. I also noticed that my bunny is a bit quieter today and not eating as much as before, could it be that the new splint feels uncomfortable as she is not used to it? She is still on Tramal twice a day so I am wondering whether she is in pain. I really hope she hasn't given up yet as we certainly haven't given up on her. Thanks for your advice!

Dear Indri

Man.  That looks awful.  Poor bunny!  I hope the new alignment is working better.  Has her appetite returned?  If not, then please read:

as pain and stress can elicit ileus, in which normal peristalsis stops (or slows down severely), causing inappetence and misery.  It can lead to life-threatening complications if not treated.

As long as the leg remains warm and has sensation and seems viable, I'm with the vet.  Give it a chance to knit before making that final decision to amputation.

I hope things go well.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology