Rabbits/Plants to deter wild rabbits

Question
I live in a desert area and there are many rabbits. I would love to plant flowers, but the rabbits just love to eat them! Also, I have 2 dogs that are not friendly to the rabbits. What would be recommended to deter the rabbits from coming through the fence? Thank you!

Answer
Dear Bella,

Boy, that's a tough one.  Seriously, the only really fool-proof way to keep the bunnies out is to rabbit-proof the fence.  That would involve digging a trench around the base of the fence and pouring concrete so they don't dig in, and also attaching hardware cloth to the fence if there are slats through which they can squeeze in.

There are no good plants that will deter them.  You might try a commercial preparation of fox urine, but even that might not do the trick if they're not bothered by your dogs.

Good luck,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.