Rabbits/difficult in urination and blood in urine

Dear Cat,

My 10 years old, male rabbit have blood in urine(true hematuria, not food colour)yesterday morning. In the afternoon the colour of the urine have become normal again. His other symptom include difficult in urination(urine in small amount and it seem forcing himself to urinate) and wet bottom. he still have good appitite and still grooming his mate. Last year April he had head tilt with suspicious of e.cuniculi and was treated with tetracycline and monthly dose of selamectin.

I hope i have a few opinion before i bring my bunny to vet which  will open tomorrow and i dont expect vet in my country to have culture, blood test, urine test or imaging for rabbit because we dont have those facility.....

Please tell me the diagnosis base on ur experiance and tell he how to differentiate those list of diagnosis you made and the treatment and prognosis.

thank you

Hi Sue
Sorry for the delay in reply, I didn't receive the original notification email for some reason.

How is the rabbit doing now? Sadly blood in the urine is very serious and really there's nothing I can do via the internet. A vet examination really is a must. Blood could indicate bladder or kidney infections, urinary tract infections and, sadly, it could also indicate cancer. The only way to tell the difference is by tests, manipulating the tummy and x-rays. I am not a vet and am on the wrong side of the planet so sadly all I can offer are guesses as to the cause.

Sorry I cannot be of more help! Hoping your vet will be able to clarify matters.

Kind regards

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.