Rabbits/difficult in urination and blood in urine

Question
Dear Dana,

My 10 years old, male rabbit have blood in urine(true hematuria, not food colour)yesterday morning. In the afternoon the colour of the urine have become normal again. His other symptom include difficult in urination(urine in small amount and it seem forcing himself to urinate) and wet bottom. he still have good appitite and still grooming his mate. Last year April he had head tilt with suspicious of e.cuniculi and was treated with tetracycline and monthly dose of selamectin.

I hope i have a few opinion before i bring my bunny to vet which  will open tomorrow and i dont expect vet in my country to have culture, blood test, urine test or imaging for rabbit because we dont have those facility.....

Please tell me the diagnosis base on ur experiance and tell he how to differentiate those list of diagnosis you made and the treatment and prognosis.

thank you

Answer
Dear Suzzy,

While I can't diagnose your bunny without seeing him, and also don't have the tools available that a vet would have, I can tell you that the signs you are seeing are consistent with either a urinary tract infection or a urolith (bladder stone).  Please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

I hope the information there will help prepare you to know what to ask the vet when you see him/her with your bunny.

Hope all goes well.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.