Rabbits/Fat rabbit isn't losing any weight.

Stephanie wrote at 2014-08-19 18:28:29
Hi there!  I would just like to add my experience.  I have a 13 year old mini rex myself.  The first time I brought her into a vet at the age of 6, they said she was "chubby" at 6 pounds, so I really tried to restrict her pellet and treat intake. I put her on a diet that was very similar to the one you described but her weight didn't seem to change very much. Throughout different situations she went through phases of her life where she get a lot more treats and pellets and this also didn't seem to change her weight.  

Basically from ages 9-13 though, I gave her unlimited amount of pellets (I know, it's never recommended) but guess what, her weight didn't change either!  In fact, she's now 5 pounds, but I think that's just due to slowing down and being an elderly bunny.  I no longer ever worry about over feeding her or giving her too many treats because I think she's got it figured out.

Basically, I think rexes are good eaters, but I wouldn't be too worried about them "getting fat" especially when they get older.  Their appetite settles down and it's made my job easier too--I don't have to be as restrictive or methodical about her diet.  

Good luck with your bunny! I think mini-rexes, and rexes in general are such a great breed.  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.