Rabbits/Need major help

I gave my friend a rabbit a few months ago that was in really good health. I went to go pick up her female rabbit because she wanted to breed her. Come to find out, I noticed she was really skinny. I told my friend that her rabbit was extremely emaciated, you can feel very bone in her body and no muscle tone to her. Her diet wasn't all that great when i picked her up from my friend. So I have brought home the rabbit with me and put her in her own cage, but I have noticed she isn't urinating properly and its matting her fur in her hind quarters. What should I do about putting weight back on her and her urinating problem? I really need your help... I'm afraid that she internal organs may shut down on her.

Critical care. I believe pet stores should have it. If bun won't eat it willingly, mix it with a little baby food. If you can't find Critical Care, try baby food just by itself.
Alfalfa hay will get some weight back on your little girl. Not too much - mix it in with some orchard grass or timothy hay. No sugary snacks or treats for now either.
Introduce greens - one at a time - to help give her some nutrition as well.

As for the urination, try taking a warm wet cloth and cleaning the area gently (bunny burrito is recommended). You might need to clip some of the fur away as well, so have a buddy to help you hold her and a small pair of scissors handy if needed.

Hoping for the best for you. Keep me posted!

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.