Rabbits/What is the proper dosage of toltrazuril to use?

Hi Dr. Krempels, thank you for your work regarding rabbits. I have read many of your informative articles and they've all been very helpful! In fact, in one of those articles you mentioned toltrazuril as being effective against coccidiosis. My son was recently given a rabbit from a breeder who we think may have a coccidiosis problem (just guessing, from my research). Our local vet thinks toltrazuril would be a good idea but isn't well versed enough to tell us exactly how much/often to give it. (we already bought a bottle). Can you help us with that? Also, is there a good place to find a vaccination or worming schedule? We'd like to head problems off before they start. (We also bought Ivomec.)Thanks!

Dear Jamy,

In Europe, people use toltrazuril at the dose of 2mg/kg once per day.  I have used ponazuril, a close chemical cousin of toltrazuril, to treat coccidiosis, and had to use a dose of 50mg/kg once a day for efficacy.  Ponazuril is much more expensive than toltrazuril (it's sold as Marquis by Bayer), but is apparently more benign than toltrazuril (which is not all that dangerous, either, used as directed).

Be sure to disinfect all things the bunny comes in contact with, to be sure any resistant coccidial cysts don't survive to re-infect.  You can do this while she is on the treatment, and continue to keep things very clean through the entire 7 day course.  

Hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology