Rabbits/lower respiratory illness

Question
Hello, I have 2 dwarf rabbits who are 5 years old, the male has had lower respiratory problems for the past 3 years.  The current treatment is 1 ml azythromycin during 15 days per month as well as 0.5 ml duplocillin once weekly over 7 weeks.  The duplocillin (injected subcutaneously), and we're not seeing good results.  He has been taking azythromycin for a least a year and we started with 10 days per month and have been at 15 days per month for 4 months now.  He has had his 3rd duplocillin injection today.  Prior treatment included enrofloxacin.  Any suggestions!  He has regular vet care including z-rays and seemed to get very good results with the arythromycin initially!

Answer
Hi Terry,

Does your rabbit have any nasal discharge with this illness?  The only thing I can suggest is that if he does have nasal discharge the vet could do a culture and sensitivity test.  Sadly respiratory infections are extremely difficult to cure.  We use zithromax with an excellent success rate.  Enrofloxacin is pretty much worthless as you have probably found out.  I know there are a few other medications that are used for respiratory illnesses but since I have no experience with them I really can't help with those.  I would strongly suggest that you send a message to Dr. Dana Krempels.  She is also an expert and in my opinion, the most knowledgeable person on Earth when it comes to bunnies.  She may be able to recommend some different treatments.

I am so very sorry that I could not help you.  I wish you and your sweet buns good luck!

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.