Rabbits/Meloxicam

Question
I am so sorry! I am having a very bad day! My bun was weighed today and weighed 5.2 oz.  I couldn't get in to see the vet and ask these questions. Thanks again for your help. Do I need to keep flushing her system with plasma lyte? I've given her 100ml a day for 4 days now.

Answer
Dear Karen,

I think the weight must be a typo.  If she weighs 5.2 oz, she must be a very tiny thing!  Did you mean 5.2 lbs?  

Because I get a lot of questions here, please either post your question as a followup, or remind me of the details in a new post.  I do not remember why you were flushing her system with plasmalyte.  Was this because of the possible overdose?

If your bunny weighs 5.2lb, that's 2.3kg.  If you are using the standard 1.5mg/ml meloxicam, then the standard dose people are giving rabbits these days would be 1.58ml once every 24 hours.  I don't recall the volume your vet said to give, but he might not be aware that new published, peer-reviewed data suggest that analgesic effect in rabbits are not really evident until you give a dose of 1mg/kg.

It will not hurt to have flushed her with fluids, but unless the dose was ridiculously higher than that, I would not worry.

I hope this sets your mind at ease.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.