I am so sorry! I am having a very bad day! My bun was weighed today and weighed 5.2 oz.  I couldn't get in to see the vet and ask these questions. Thanks again for your help. Do I need to keep flushing her system with plasma lyte? I've given her 100ml a day for 4 days now.

Dear Karen,

I think the weight must be a typo.  If she weighs 5.2 oz, she must be a very tiny thing!  Did you mean 5.2 lbs?  

Because I get a lot of questions here, please either post your question as a followup, or remind me of the details in a new post.  I do not remember why you were flushing her system with plasmalyte.  Was this because of the possible overdose?

If your bunny weighs 5.2lb, that's 2.3kg.  If you are using the standard 1.5mg/ml meloxicam, then the standard dose people are giving rabbits these days would be 1.58ml once every 24 hours.  I don't recall the volume your vet said to give, but he might not be aware that new published, peer-reviewed data suggest that analgesic effect in rabbits are not really evident until you give a dose of 1mg/kg.

It will not hurt to have flushed her with fluids, but unless the dose was ridiculously higher than that, I would not worry.

I hope this sets your mind at ease.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology