Rabbits/Meloxicam Overdose

Question
We mistakenly gave our rabbit too much Meloxicam (.9 vs .35) over a two day period. We are currently giving our rabbit 100ml of Plasma Lyte a day to flush her system. She is eating, drinking, and eliminating just fine and shows no outward distress from this. Do you think she will be alright? I am worried.

Answer
Dear Karen,

How much does your bunny weigh?  A newer dose of meloxicam has come out in publication, and not all vets have heard about it.  We are currently using meloxicam at 1mg/kg once per day.  Lower doses did not seem to have much analgesic effect, but the higher dosage seems to work well.

If you tell me your bunny's weight *and* the concentration of the meloxicam you are using (in mg/ml), I can tell you the dose she got.  But simple algebra prevents me from making that calculation without those variables in place.  :)

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.