Rabbits/Rabbit drinking too much

Question
QUESTION: I have a 4 1/2 year old Holland lop. She just had surgery about a month and a half ago to remove a cuterebra (fly larva), and everything seemed to be going fine but in the past few weeks I've noticed some changes. First, she is drinking too much, about 1000 mL per day! ( and I know for sure the bottle is not leaking). As a result of the drinking she pees a lot. She also feels a little thinner than normal, I weighed her and the scale said she was 4.6 pounds. She is still eating but it doesn't seem like she's eating as much as usual. One other thing I have notice is that there is a small amount of puss that I found on her surgery wound, I cleaned it off and it seems to be fine. She eats romaine lettuce, timothy hay, and orchard grass daily. Also, her poop looks normal and she still acts normal. I have made an appointment with the vet, but I am just wondering what could possibly be wrong with her?

Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Emily
Sorry to hear about your bun!

I would be concerned there's an infection set in around her wound. I would also be concerned that the infection or the larva caused some internal damage. Kidney problems in particular can lead to excessive drinking. I would hope your vet does a blood test which will test kidney function amongst other things.

I afraid I cannot do more than guess really. Do make sure your vet checks everything.

Good luck!
Cat

QUESTION: Update!

The vet ran a blood test and a fecal test, both negative. So no kidney disease,  no diabetes, and no parasites. But she is still drinking a lot and urinating a lot, plus she feels skinny (vet weighed her at 4.1 lb) my vet said we could do a urine sample to check for utilities or an xray, but I don't have a whole lot of money, so she also said I could just start her on antibiotics.  What do you think? And what do you think it could be?

Answer
Hi Emily
Hope your bun is doing a bit better. Sadly I'm not a vet so my guesses are pretty much exhausted 😔 an x-ray would be useful though as it could highlight any masses or tumours that could be causing problems. You could try asking on this forum to see if anyone else has any advice http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forum.php

Good luck!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat