Rabbits/Rabbit urinating herself

Question
My 4 year old rabbit keeps on urinating on herself. So much she stinks the whole room and it is all wet from her tail to her stomach. She has never done this since the past years I have had her. She  is also already spayed. Why is she doing this and what will be the best possible way to help her.

Thank you

Answer
Hi Carol,

Anytime a rabbit is acting different than normal it usually means they need to see a vet.  She could have a kidney infection or she could have arthritis or another condition that is causing her to not be able to lift her hind end when she urinates.  I have had rabbits that have done this and with the exception of the occasional piggy boy bunny they almost always have an issue internally that is causing it.

I would strongly suggest that you schedule an appointment with your vet to get a urine screen and a blood test.  I wish there was another answer I could give you but it would be really impossible for me to tell without these tests results.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.