Rabbits/URGENT Toltrazuril dose rate

Question
Dana
what do currently recommend as toltrazuril/baycox dose rate? Have you noticed side effects at 50mg/kg or failures at 5mg/kg?
Thanks,
Lindsey

Answer
Dear Lindsey

Toltrazuril is a slightly different chemical than ponazuril, but the dosages used are VERY different.

We use ponazuril at 50mg/kg in domestic rabbits to treat coccidiosis. We did not see complete eradication of coccidial cysts at 20mg/kg, so upped it to 50mg/kg, at which point the parasites all died.

I have never used toltrazuril, but the dose I am hearing that people use in Europe is much lower:  on the order of 2mg/kg once per day.

I have been trying to find out the main differences in the two drugs that might justify this tremendous difference in dosage.  Not even my buddy the pharmacologist has figured this out yet.

Sorry I'm not more help on this one.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.