Rabbits/Rabbit with head tilt having seizures

Hi Dana,
I have a non spayed older female dwarf rabbit who came into rescue in September, 2014.  She has a slight head tilt, is rolling, and is now having seizure activity.  She was treated with fenbendazole 28 days, Chloremphenicol for 3 1/2 months and meloxicam 2x daily as well as Meclazine. She is still getting meloxicam and meclazine but is no longer on antibiotics.  She has not shown any signs of improvement.  Recently she has been having mini seizures due to excitement.  She gets really excited for her vegetables and pellets.  It is really scary to witness.  She will sometimes just pause and sort of collapse then comes to in a few seconds.  Other times she twists her head sideways then is out, eyes closed and not moving.  Any advice on treatment would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Dear Jen,

I see the vet treated her for E. cuniculi with the fenbendazole, which is what I would have suggested.  No way to know if the parasite is the cause of the seizures, but the neurological damage done by E. cuniculi can be permanent.

Please ask the vet about trying ponazuril, if E. cuniculi is still suspected to be active.  We have had excellent success combining fenbendazole and ponazuril for E. cuniculi bunnies with head tilt, and I suspect it might also help with seizures caused by this parasite.

Of course, the seizures might not be due to E. cuniculi.  And if they are due to permanent brain damage, then there is little you can do but offer supportive care.

But it might be worth trying ponazuril.  I would ask the vet about it.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology