Rabbits/Worried about my other giant flemish

My male giant flemish died suddenly this morning were not sure from what.I was just wondering if you you could tell me what kind of effect that might have on our female? They were together most of the time.

Hi Rick

Sorry to hear your lost your boy bun. I would first get your girl to the vets asap to make sure whatever he had wasn't contagious and she's lovely and healthy.

Bunnies will mourn bonded partners, but they will also re-bond quickly to another bun. Assuming these two were a neutered/spayed pair, you could consider looking for another neutered bun to be a new husbun for her. Mourning bunnies can become very depressed and withdrawn, may even stop eating, but not all bunnies are the same and some partners can act like nothing has happened! It depends how close the two were.

So I would recommend getting her a vet check and consider re-bonding her. If you still have him, a vet can do a post mortem to find the cause of his passing, this can be a huge help for closure for you as it's so sad when we lose them suddenly.

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.