Rabbits/Rabbit pellets

Question
Ingredients
Ingredients  
I am always concerned about the ingredients in rabbit pellets. The one I am using now I believe is pretty good but I was hoping to get a second opinion. I have a 1yr old male holland lop and here is a list of the ingredients.

Answer
Hi Tara

You are right to have some concern over ingredients of pellets. The one you are using is certainly not the worst I've seen! I would question the addition of extra salt and also beet pulp is a substitute for sugar. It's still not the worst I've seen though. Adult rabbits should only be getting pellets as a small supplement to hay diet, so only really need roughly a handful a day depending on the rabbit's size.

This has a good dry food comparison on it, albeit most of the pellets are European as the website is based in the UK, but it will give you a good idea!
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

This website by reknowned rabbit vet, Frances Harcourt Brown, also has some interesting insights into proper rabbit diet:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Hope those help!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat