Rabbits/Rabbit problems: excessive shedding

Question
Hello my rabbit is dropping a lot of fur recently i was brushing her fur the other day and a large amount of fur came out leaving a spot on her back bold. All other places are pretty sensitive to brushing as well as the fur seems easy to be pulled out. I noticed a black spot on her back where the bold patch is with some darker fur on it. The rest around it is still bald. The skin seems a little dry but is light pink and seems allright. There are no other symptoms that something is wrong i had her for a month and everything is the same apart from the fur loss and she recently started to have a little bot of a wet nose but not a lot i will observe her more closly and take to a vet if needed. She is neraly 4 month old and is a dwarf rabbit.

Answer
Dear John,

This sounds like a normal, if heavy shed.  But please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

If in doubt, get your bunny to a good, rabbit-savvy vet.  The Rabbit Welfare Association may be able to help with a referral:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.