Rabbits/ringworms in neutropenic patient

Question
hi,
mu 85 yo mother has myleodyspastic syndrome and is neutropenic.. most recent white count is 1.9, has bee 0.5.  she has almost completed a six week course of IV antibiotics (vancomycin) for osteomylitis. this coming sunday will be her last IV treatment

in the meantime she now has ringworms!!  my daughter has a bunny and lives with her. the bunny is on the opposite side of the house and mom has very little contact with the bunny.

so you think that the ringworm could be from the bunny??? i don't think there are any signs of ringworm in the bunny.

becki

Answer
Dear Becki,

It is very unlikely that the bunny is the source of the fungus, especially if the bunny shows no signs of infection.

With the severely compromised immune system she currently has, your mother is more susceptible to active infection/clinical symptoms of pathogens that a person with a healthy immune system would suppress.  She could have been exposed to ringworm literally almost anywhere.  I would certainly not blame the rabbit, especially if they have not been in contact.  It is far more likely that the fungus was transmitted to her by another human (children are often carriers).

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.