Rabbits/Safe ear drops for my bunny

Hello !
I am a bunny parent from India. My bunny has been scratching her ears a lot since the past one month. Since diagnosis is mainly symptomatic in nature, the vet performed an ivermectin shot on her and gave her Enrofloxacin (oral tablets). I will also get ear drops for her. These are the compositions of the few veterinary ear drops we get here. Can you please rule out which compositions are bunny safe and which are not ?

1) Enrofloxacin + Silver Sulfadiazine
2) Ofloxacin + Clotrimazole + Betamethasone Dipropionate + lignocaine hydrochloride
3) Salicylic Acid IP + Phenoxyethanol BP

If despite the oral and ear drop course her symptoms do not cease, I will go for an ear culture.

Thank you.

Dear BlurHearted,

Of the three choices, #1 is the best.  Enrofloxacin and silver sulfadiazine are both safe and effective for rabbits.  If no culture and sensitivity testing is done, there's no way to be sure that the antibiotic is necessary (i.e., that bacteria sensitive to it are present).  But if your vet sees signs of bacterial infection in the ear, this antibiotic is a good "first guess".

I would avoid #2, as corticosteroids (betamethasone) are not recommended for rabbits.

Drop #3 will provide some anti-inflammatory help (salicylate) and possibly some general bacteriocidal help (phenoxyethanol), but probably will not be as effective as the enrofloxacin.

Hope this helps, and that bun will be well soon.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology