Rabbits/Two spots on my rabbits eye

Two spots on eye
Two spots on eye  
I recently adopted a bunny into my family from a friends neighbor that couldn't/wasn't taking care of it. I've called the local vet I take my other animals too, but cannot get him in for nearly three weeks! So, while I wait, I figured I'd reach out to see if this may be emergent.
Let me start off by saying, boy is this bunny sweet! He is seemingly healthy, and happy since he's been in our home (which has been nearly a week now). He has a healthy diet, he drinks plenty of water, his poops are normal, and perfectly round little rabbit poops. He's loving, and not lethargic.
But, on his eye are two spots. One is yellowish in the center, seemingly "deeper," and the other is white somewhat overlapping slightly more towards the nose, seemingly more on the surface. He does not seem to be in any discomfort. He does not display a great amount of "watery eye." He does not squint, or even seem bothered by the eye at all. From the glare in the photo in his eye, I would guess that he may have a cataract as well, but would that speak for the two seemingly unrelated spots on the eye?
I appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out. I have an appointment to get him in with our vet on October 17th. I'd just like to know if this may be a matter of emergency, and if I should just call an emergency vet to have it looked at. I'm a single mother, so if it can wait then that'd be wonderful for my checkbook. If it can't, I'd be happy to call though, as my three year old just loves this bunny, and he is most certainly a part of the family now!

Dear Jaime,

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Seems that every time I went to answer, the AllExperts site was not cooperating!  :(

As you've no doubt discovered by now, it's not an emergency.

These lesions appear to be either in/on the cornea or in the anterior chamber of the eye, but are not fully obstructing the bunny's vision.   They almost look like lipid deposits, which are common in dogs, but I've not seen them in rabbits.

When you take the bunny to the vet, be sure it's a rabbit-savvy vet who can do a full wellness exam.  Check the referral list here to be sure:

A vet who "sort of" sees rabbits can do more harm than good, though s/he might mean well.  Rabbits have very specialized veterinary needs.

On the other hand, if it's just the eye you're going to worry about for now, then a veterinary ophthalmologist is your best bet.  You can find one via an online search, or ask your vet for a referral.  Most vets get some ophthalmological training in vet school, so your vet might be able to diagnose and treat this, but it's always best to have a boarded specialist to have a look at something like this.

I hope bun will be fine.  For all the best information on his care, please go to:

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology