Rabbits/behaviour

Question
I have female rabbit and adopted from the animal shelter neutered male rabbit. The reason why I adopted the male one is to give a company to my girl. They like each other, she is licking him and both are eating from the same bowl at the same time but one thing makes me concern. She is riding him and jumping on him and he does as well. I called to the shelter and they said that he is neutered. I have worries that she might get pregnant. Is that normal behaviour for rabbits to know each other better or i should go to vet with my girl?
I will appreciate for an answer
Kind Regards

Answer
This is how they display dominance.   It is something that a lot of bonded pairs do.  If he is neutered she will not get pregnant.  If she is not fixed yet you should have her fixed.  This will help with the constant mounting and it will also prevent cancer.  Female rabbits have a high chance of getting reproductive cancers.

As time goes on they will mount each other less.  Once they figure out who the boss is they usually stop this behavior.  Every once in a while they will do it again to remind the other one who the boss is.

Good luck with your bunnies.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.