Rabbits/Ivomec Overdose

We raise Holland Lops and accidentally gave our whole herd of 15 bunnies 10 times the recommended dosage of .018 per pound. Instead of .072 cc they got .7cc for a four pound rabbit. 2 of the does were bred 4 days ago. 3 are nursing. What side effects should we look for? How long before the symtoms begin and end? And the most dreaded question is it going to kill our bunnies?

Many people use that ivermectin paste and they guess at the dose with the dreaded 'pea' size dose.  Usually if they are going to have a fatal reaction you will know within 24 hours.  Symptoms of overdose could be neurological.  I have seen rabbits have fatal seizures or walk around like they are drunk.  If you don't see these symptoms they will probably be fine.

Now I must ask why you used ivermectin?  If you are treating for worms ivermectin is not the correct medicine.  It does not kill pinworms which are the most common worms that rabbits get.  It does kill raccoon round worm but this is incredibly rare to find in rabbits.  Raccoon round worm is also almost always always fatal whether you treat or not.  I strongly recommend that if you are treating for anything other than mites (ears, fur) that you use piperzine.  Revolution (selemectin) will kill all mites.

I hope your bunnies will be okay but they should be.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.