Rabbits/mood changes

Question
Hello,
I have a 6 month old Holland lop spayed and got her a 5 month old hotot and I got him neutered.  They are getting along great.  The female was very affectionate with me before I got the male for her.  The male was sort of sweet when I first got him and he has gotten a little less friendly since he I had him neutered.  Now the female is not quite as sweet  to me.  Do you think things will go back to both being sweet  to me after puberty passes.  If so, about how long does puberty last on average?  Thanks Renee

Answer
Hi Renee,

If they are both neutered their puberty is already over.  Bunnies prefer the company of another bunny.  I have 4 bonded pairs of bunnies and they are all very stand offish towards me.  They tolerate me but they would much rather be with their mate.  I would try to get down on their level.  Play with them on the floor.  As they get older and realize that you are the holder of the treats and the things they love they should warm up to you.  Bunnies are weird.  Each one of them has a different personality.  Sometimes you just have to watch them from a distance.

I wish I had a better answer for you.  Good luck.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.