Rabbits/My rabbit has became aggressive

I got my rabbit in April of 2015. Her mother was a meat rabbit and her father was a minature (I do not know the exact breeds). She has acted very well, she is litter trained and very social. I keep her in a cage that is about 4 1/2 feet in length and about 1 1/2 feet in width. I try to let her out as much as possible, when she is out she can freely go anywhere in my room. Though,there are some days where I am busy and can not always let her out. Here lately, she has not wanted to leave her cage, she grunts, charges, and bites when I try to pick her up. She was so happy a few months ago. She is also making quite a mess in the litter box; whereas before she never did. It is almost as she is "nesting". I was curious to know if the aggressiveness towards me and the making a mess has something to do with the hormones, in which she should be spayed? Or if I have been doing something that I should not have been. I want to do what is right for her! Thanks!

Hi Hannah,

This behavior is almost always hormonal.  Getting spayed will usually reduce these problems.  The nesting could be false pregnacies which should also be relieved with spaying.  It would benefit her to get more out of the cage time if possible.  If you are not able to let her out more I would suggest getting an x pen.  These are the wire enclosures in which you would see little dogs put in outside to play.  You can attach this right to her regular cage and this will give her more room to exercise while keeping the stuff in your room safe.

I suspect once you get her spayed you will see a dramatic improvement in her behavior.  These things are very classic non-spayed, teenage rabbit problems.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.