Rabbits/Safe Types Of Wood

Question
Hello Dr. Dana

I want to build my bunnies a wood hiding area. What types of wood is safe? I do not want to use nails since these could cause more harm than good so would it be safe to use a glue? I am not an experienced craftsman so I do not think I could create holes for dowel pegs or even notch the edges for tongue & grove.

I currently give the bunnies cardboard boxes but sometimes it can be hard to find boxes not covered in a waxy film or filled with stickers and tape. Granted I only use plain or natural looking cardboard and remove all stickers/tape. Sometimes after removing everything I have almost destroyed the box.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and for helping bunnies every where.

Best

Suzie, CupCake, BrownieBoy, Inky, Spot & Fireball

Answer
Dear Suzie,

Any type of softwood or hardwood should be safe, as long as it is not pressure treated, painted, or permeated with any type of chemical preservatives or other non-natural substance.  Nails should not be dangerous if they are large, but do avoid small finishing nails, just to be on the safe side.

I would use plywood, rather than particle board.  But sure it is well ventilated before you let the buns use it, as most types of wood will exude formadehyde gas for weeks.  (Personally, I would stick to cardboard...)

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.