Rabbits/Bonding Question

Hi Christine,

I have a lot of experience bonding rabbits but I've come to a roadblock w/ my current group and I'm hoping you can help.  There are 4 buns I am attempting to bond into a quartet.  Three out of the four get along TREMENDOUSLY.  Snuggles, kisses, the works.  The fourth is previously bonded to one of the other three.  She has been nipping & biting both of the newbies to her group.   

The fourth addition has been with the group less than 48 hours.  The third addition was added to the pair around Christmas time.  They have been living together over a month & still the nipping persists.  The third addition has not fought back to the girl causing issues.  He has groomed her on numerous occasions & runs when he nips at her but it has really made him on edge so he hates being close to her.  I've stress bonded in about every scenario possible.  I have changed their area w/ still the same problem.  The fourth addition was a recent rescue from a breeder situation where all buns needed rehomed.  I took in the rabbits, found homes for the rest & she remained with us.  I added her in to see if she would change up the dynamic at all.  It did quite a bit.  For the first 24 hours, there were NO problems!  The problem bun hadn't nipped the third addition in awhile.  But the 2nd day, the problem bun has gone back to nipping both the 3rd & 4th addition making them very leery of her.  The fourth has been a great addition w/ the rest.  She has snuggled, eaten, and been groomed by everyone but the problem child!  

I am at a loss of what else to try, do you have any ideas?  

Oh my... sounds like you have quite an issue.
I follow a bunny page on facebook where there were some issues bonding, so the owners took their buns to a local rescue who assisted with bonding in a neutral environment. Are there any bunny rescues in the area you could contact to see if they can assist with providing some professional assistance (not that you don't sound uniquely qualified to handle this situation) and a "fresh" space where no one would consider themselves dominant?

Sadly, not all bunnies will get along, and I do want you to hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. You may want to consider two pairs instead of a quartet on the off chance this option either a) isn't available, or b) doesn't work.

Best of luck,

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.