Rabbits/End of life

Question
My lion head is 8, since December he has been on and off prepulsid and zantac, his droppings are small he's not eating as much, I need to syringe feed him critical care with olive oil and pinapple juice in case of blockage.he loves a cuddle and is still cleaning himself. I have moved him and his friend into the house so I can feed him at night sometimes but also make sure they are not cold.
When do I decide to take him to be put to sleep, or can he pass peaceably at home. He has lost about 1/4 kilo and just under the 2 now

Answer
Hi Sharon,

This is a decision only you can make.  My opinion is really just an opinion.  If a bunny is not eating on his own and is being kept alive by critical care then I don't think this is a very good quality of life.  However on another note if he is still grooming then he hasn't given up.

I really wish I could answer this for you but it is really something you have to decide for yourself.  I would talk with your vet about their opinion.  

Good luck and thank you for giving your bunny such a loving home.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.