Rabbits/HELP, VERY CONCERNED- I'm worried about my bunny's rectum

Hi! I hope you can help me with my sweet bunny, Honey. My bunny is about 8 years old and I've had her almost a year. I was checking her bottom last night, I need to wipe her fur for her but that's not my concern. I saw thin flakes of poop just inside her rectal area. I carefully picked some out but then as I tried to get another piece, she grunted and squeaked a bit so I quit and took a closer look. To me it looks like the poop flakes are attached to her skin, she definitely didn't like me pulling on it, so I quit and cuddled her. When I put her down she grunted and stomped her foot lol...I apologized. She did "kiss" me this morning so I guess I'm forgiven but I'm worried that those flakes could cause an issue being stuck to her skin on the inside of the anus, but so far she's pooping normally. Also, it smelled very pungent, so perhaps it's something to do with her scent gland? I don't wanna take her to the vet if it's not needed, but I'll get her there ASAP if I need to.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Nicole and Honey

Dear Nicole,

This doesn't sound serious.  It could just be a bit of cecotrope dried to her skin, or you might be seeing the dark brown wax in the pockets on either side of her prepuce. That's secreted by the scent glands in the pockets, and can sometimes harden and get stuck.

To remove either poop bits or scent gland wax that's stuck, simply take a cotton ball or cotton swab with a tiny bit of vegetable oil, and swab it on the debris. Let it soften for a few minutes, and then wipe it away with the cotton ball.  For poop debris, water will work just as well.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology